Thursday, December 14, 2017

1997 General Hawk - Around the Web

It was 20 years ago that I stopped at a local TRU on my way home from work, looking for a Slave Leia figure and stumbled across the 1997 Joes.  20 years.  Vintage Star Wars figures weren't 20 years old when I found these guys.  I take my boys to that same TRU now.  Just, back then, there was no freeway connecting it to the rest of the city.  How time flies.  In looking back, we didn't know how good we had it with these '97 figures.  We'd never get this level of detail and accessories on any consistent basis again after 1998.  In some ways, I now like this Hawk almost as much as the original.  Here's the best I can find of him around the web.

1997 General Hawk Profile

General Hawk on Instagram 01

General Hawk Pre-Production at YoJoe.com

1997 General Hawk, Cobra Commander, Destro, Stalker, 1984 VAMP Mark II

1997 General Hawk, Cobra Commander, Destro, Stalker, 1984 VAMP Mark II

4 comments:

  1. Since you wrote this back in June of 2013,this figure has certainly gone up in price the fast 4 years. He's averaging about 35 dollars on e-bay.For me, I agree the original is better, not so "plastic looking". This figure isn't bad at all, but for that price, not worth getting, especially if you have the original. This figure is for completists only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!? There's one sitting for $15 at a local shop. Maybe I should pick it up?

      These A-10 figs tend to fluctuate, though. I remember the Ace being super pricey and then dropping quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. I'm a broken record on 1997 figures. Could've been great, but soapy skin tones and production issues that lead to sometimes fragile figures make them disappointing. If it were up to me, I'd redo every figure from 1997 in better quality and yes, including Fake-Breaker, Hawk'n Roll and even Pimp Daddy Destro and dark-skinned Hawk'n Roll. (Sadly, I'm not a millionaire with access to vintage Joe molds.)

    Accessories? Well, you had to supply Hawk with a weapons pack helmet. So...1997 accessories were hit and miss.

    Why did this Hawk mold disappear after 1997 only to partly be reused for a comic pack or was that a recasted chest? No idea. I liked the 1992 Hawk's but at the same time, this one has a normal back and lacks the broad shoulders that limit some poses on the battle commander mold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is100 dollars on EBay currently!

    ReplyDelete