Friday, January 5, 2024

1984 Vamp Mark II - Around The Web

Back in 1984, I had a fleeting glimpse of the new catalog.  There were few items that really burned into my mind.  But, one of them was the VAMP Mark II.  Mostly, I remembered it because I had loved the original VAMP.  And, while my VAMP was still in decent shape, the thought of getting a new one was really exciting.  Once in hand, though, the VAMP Mark II had some issues.  The lack of gun really hindered its adoption in my collection.  And, in short order, the VAMP Mark II was actually in worse shape than my older and more battle worn VAMP.  

Today, though, I appreciate both designs.  The VAMP is still more used.  But, I do enjoy getting the VAMP Mark II out from time to time.  It photographs well and does work with a variety of different figures.  There's some good content featuring the VAMP Mark II out there.  So, be sure to check out the posts below.

Vamp Mark II Profile

Vamp Mark II by dreadnokdread

Vamp Mark II by masterbungle

VAMP Mark II by fun_time_at_serpentorslair

VAMP Mark II by gi_joe_for_fun

VAMP Mark II by sintechness

VAMP Mark II by gen_liederkranz

VAMP Mark II at 3DJoes.com

VAMP Mark II by evilface

VAMP Mark II by thedustinmccoy

VAMP Mark II at JoePedia

VAMP Mark II by 3rd_wave_sabotage

1984 VAMP Mark II, Black Major Snake Eyes, 1985 Flint


3 comments:

  1. I was never sure if the Vamp MK2 shipped in 1985 since it wasn't in the retail insert catalog, but based on old toy fair catalog, apparently it did not. In 1984 they were in cases with the Stinger. The Stinger reshipped alone in 1985. I guess there's more Stingers out there than Vamp Mk II's maybe. Kind of odd for a non-exclusive to have a one year window back then. (The blue SNAKE would do that in 1985, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. That's one of those questions that I wish people would ask of the remaining Hasbro people. Would be curious to know why it wasn't carried over, especially since it was available as a mail away for so long. That does help explain some after market pricing on nice VAMP MK II's.

      Delete
    2. Actually the VAMP MK2 wasn't a long lasting mail-away offer (like the Stinger was). I know, I ordered 2 (my older brother wanted one even though he'd quit toys, because he missed it when he was buying Joes). And after months we got a refund in the mail. Out of stock, tough luck, kid. Not sure it was offered again. I think if it was, we'd have tried to get at least one. ( i may have to scour yojoe.com for the answer).
      Of note, was the MK2 released in Europe? The Stinger was twice, first by Palitoy then by Hasbro in their 1987 relaunch.
      Then there's the Brazilian mess of MK2's that are Vamp Mk1's with MK armor and launchers. Which is where the Tiger Sting comes in.
      But then we know Hasbro still had the molds, because The Street Striker was made in 1994.

      Delete