Saturday, June 22, 2024

Rarities - 1985 CAT Tank (Sears Exclusive)

The MOBAT sucks.  It's important to start out with that as a statement.  It was, easily, the worst toy to debut in the line in 1982.  And, it was never compelling.  Sure, it was cool in the comic and cartoon.  But, there, you got to see characters interacting with it in a way that was simply not possible with the actual toy.  So, Hasbro recoloring the tank in black and red for release as a Sears exclusive in 1985 didn't really solve any of the limitations of the toy.  But, the Crimson Attack Tank (CAT) exists and remains a prized piece for collectors: even if it's undeserved.

It's tough to remember that Sears was the king of retailers as the '80's dawned.  The catalog sales model was a proven way to reach massive amounts of consumers who didn't have access to a physical Sears store.  But, Sears was also pretty effective at getting stores into even small towns.  (The small town where my cousins grew up had a stand alone Sears store.  It was about the size that a Dollar Store is today.  But, it was clean and efficient.  It stocked a few items.  But, mostly, it was a place where customers could come in and order from the catalog.)  So, them being able to afford an exclusive run of toys made a lot of sense.  And, starting in 1982, Sears carried their first exclusive Joe toy, the craptastic Cobra Missile Command.  

In other profiles, I've written about how my dad was a Sears junkie.  He could go in and look at the tools for just as long as I would look at the toys.  And, as they were near each other in our local store, I'd often find myself free to wander the ample toy section while he browsed the hardware.  Really, my only memories of spending time looking at toy lines I didn't collect was in Sears.  My time in Toys R Us or Children's Palace was always Joe focused with little time to spend browsing around.  I recall looking at He-Man and Sectaurs at that Sears store on the north side of Indianapolis.  In these sessions, though, I also discovered the CAT and the SMS.  I distinctly recall both of them being on the end of an aisle and the boxes were neatly stacked on the floor.  The display was huge and the stock was more than ample.  The following year, I found the Dreadnok exclusives in similar format.  Since my dad liked Sears, we found these toys under the tree.  Except, that is, for the CAT.

For Christmas of 1981 or 1982, my dad's best friend bought my brothers and I, each, a remote controlled tank.  They were undersized for Joes and not really meant for action figures.  We played with them for a day or two.  Once home, though, they got tossed into the toy box where they'd stay.  They were too big to match the grocery store plastic soldiers that every kid in the early '80's had in spades.  And, they were too small for Joes or Star Wars figures.  So, they weren't that fun.  Because we had these, though, my mother was adamantly against us getting any more motorized tanks.  I asked for the MOBAT once because I wanted Steeler.  The tone of my mother's "no" ensured I didn't ask again.  

Aside from Steeler, though, I don't think we really missed anything.  Our friend around the block had a MOBAT.  And, no one every played with it.  It was big, didn't interact well with figures, and, you couldn't roll it into battle like you could the toys with free-rolling wheels.  

To this day, I do not own any incarnation of the MOBAT.  Through the years, I've had the original and the 1998 versions.  But, I sold them all off as they are bad toys and worse display pieces.  I've never owned either CAT.  And, I've never had any inclination to do so.  It makes no sense to pay a premium for a vehicle that I don't like and would never, ever use.  But, the CAT is a relatively hard to find item, especially complete with the gun cap.  And, for that reason, it's always been popular with collectors.  The 1985 version has always commanded a premium price, even when alternative versions were getting clearanced from KB Toys' website for a couple of bucks each.  

At its core, the CAT is just a MOBAT colored in black and red.  If the MOBAT were a good toy, this recolor would be an awesome addition to the Cobra army.  But, since it's not, the CAT is just a big hunk of black plastic that takes up huge amounts of space in photos and can't hold any figures.  In Canada, an all black MOBAT was released.  I actually prefer the two-tone CAT, though.  While both toys are rare (the Canadian being substantially more so) they both are heavily limited by the MOBAT design.

Today, with a bit of perseverance, you can find an open sale of the tank for about $250.  But, this is an  item that dealers always pick out.  So, there is consistently plenty of stock available.  The tanks are just sold in the $350-$400 range.  And, lots of people pay that price since the tanks are there for the taking and $100 is worth not having to wait for a year or more to get one at a real market price.  

Sears Exclusive Crimson Attack Tank, CAT, 1985

Sears Exclusive Crimson Attack Tank, CAT, 1985

Sears Exclusive Crimson Attack Tank, CAT, 1985

Sears Exclusive Crimson Attack Tank, CAT, 1985


4 comments:

  1. The MOBAT wasn't much fun for two reasons as you state.
    1. Hard to use without batteries, and who wants to spend their allowance on batteries? It wasn't like big D batteries were something my house stocked like toilet paper.
    2. And, yeas, lacking in figure interaction.

    Funny bit about the gift you never play with. I had one of those, but I stupidly requested it. It was German Tiger tank shown in a toy advert. And it turned out to be a model kit, not a toy. I was too young for it and honestly even as I got older, wasn't that crazy about model building. If I still had the unmade kit it maybe it would be worth something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% agree the Mobat sucks. I do not feel the need to buy this tank because it will also suck. But...it is pretty 🤷‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spent years convincing myself the MOBAT is cool to only get one and then end up disappointed in it. Not proud to say I have performed this cycle on more than one occasion as a collector. I've owned and sold off the 2003 CAT, 2000 Mobat, 2008 Mobat, 1982 Mobat. I did get another 2000 Mobat just because I want to get one of the cool 3d printed turrets that covers the figure up a little more in the turret. The battery operated feature certainly hurt both the Mobat and Mauler (a tank that I love).

    I do like how the CAT matches the early Cobra vehicles like the Hiss, Stinger, Fang and even STUN with it's use of colors. Hasbro re-using the mold back in the 80s to give Cobra a "main battle tank" to combat the Joes certainly wasn't the worst idea but yea the Mobat isn't a strong vehicle despite it's connection to the beginning of the iconic ARAH line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even as a kid, I understood what lack of play value the MOBAT had. I never wanted one. My son was gifted a Sears CAT II in the mid 2000's and I was even less impressed. The only good thing about it was the repainted Crimson Guard Immortal

    ReplyDelete