Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Hasbro Pulse - June 8th, 2022 Reveals

It's that time again where Hasbro does a G.I. Joe livestream and showcases their new products.  This is an exciting time since they usually have a little something for everyone.  Today was no different.  There were a bunch of Classified announcements, including that the next G.I. Joe Haslab will be for Classified.  To me, that's good news.  I'd like the Skystriker in hand before I have to front the cash for another Haslab.

For me, though, there were two main announcements today.  One, Duke and Cobra Commander, was something we have known about for a while.  Now, though, we will be able to pre-order later today and we got a look at the plethora of accessories that are included with the figures.  The second announcement was new.  It's Stalker with a Transformer that turns into the AWE Striker.  I hate this.  I hate this because I don't collect Transformers and I'm now paying $70 to get a figure that I really want. I would have built a small Stalker army since he's such a personal favorite.  Now, I'll get one.

I want to rant more about this.  But, the reality is that the Megatron sold well.  And, it got way more press than a Cobra army builder two-pack that still hasn't sold out after months of pre-orders.  So, the Transformers/G.I. Joe hybrids are likely here to stay.  I'd rather get a real AWE Striker than a Transforming one.  But, there's lots of crossover between Joe and Transformers collectors.  So, a good number of collectors will be happy to see this.

On to the items.

Duke Vs. Cobra Commander:

We knew this two pack was coming.  We saw mock ups several months ago.  Now, though, we're seeing pretty close to final figures along with packaging and all the extra gear.

Cobra Commander looks pretty good.  It's definitely a cartoon based color scheme.  But, this is the first really different take on this mold we've seen since 1984.  So, that's exciting.  In looking at his gear, it seems he includes a new staff and a tablet.  He also has a rifle instead of his standard pistol in the blister.  I assume this a cartoon thing.  And, new weapons are always welcomed.

Duke is less impressive.  His grin is now massive and is exaggerated far too much.  Beyond that, though, the figure looks to showcase an array of 1997 colors.  And, that's not a good thing.  The helmet is shiny and the figure's colors look way too bright.  We'll see how the final piece looks.  But, I'm not as enthused about this figure as I was, originally.  His gear, though, almost makes up for it.  You'll see his full 1984 complement of weapons with the helmet, pack, binoculars and green M-32.  But, he also get's the standard Snow Job rifle, a bazooka and a jetpack based on the JUMP.  It appears that instead of using the standard backpack peg, this jet pack has a harness that goes over Duke.  We'll see how the final configuration appears.  But, it looks like a big upgrade.  I would love an accessories pack to be able to get a few more of them.

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

For reference, here is the original mock up photo from a couple of months ago:

2022 Duke Vs. Cobra Commander, Hasbro Pulse

Stalker:

I hate the Tranformers crossovers.  I don't collect Transformers and don't like paying an exhorbitant surcharge for including them with Joes.  I'm in the minority on this point, though, as Megatron sold well.  But, I love Stalker and seeing him appear is amazing.  But, instead of army building a couple of them as he's one of my favorite figures, I'll just get one since I have to pay in excess of $70 for a Bumblebee in which I have ZERO interest.

But, these offerings are probably the future because they sell well and lots of people who aren't old curmudgeons really like them.  I'll buy one, too.  So, I'm the real sucker when we get down to it.

2022 Stalker and Bumblebee, AWE Striker, Transformers, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Stalker and Bumblebee, AWE Striker, Transformers, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Stalker and Bumblebee, AWE Striker, Transformers, Hasbro Pulse

2022 Stalker and Bumblebee, AWE Striker, Transformers, Hasbro Pulse

Overall, not an overwhelming day.  But one where I'm going to drop nearly $200 for the privilege of getting these figures in the mail in 6 to 8 months.  But, that's toy collecting in 2020 in a nutshell.


11 comments:

  1. Duke's grin is goofy as hell. I hope that can be toned down before release.

    Not sure what a green dune buggy has to do with Bumblebee either.

    I ordered both, but these are the least exciting of the o-rings revivals so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to see Cobra Commander. But, I need another AWE Striker like I need a hole in the head.

      I really hope they can maybe find another outlet to release more figures in a shorter window. I'd love TRU style 6 packs that are nothing but repaints. Imagine a TF Ripcord, Satan, Crimson Baroness, Desert Stalker, Night Force Duke and a JvC inspired CC repaint where we weren't paying $12 per figure in packaging. I can dream, right?!?

      Delete
  2. Awful reveals, I'm not spending a dime.

    I was really looking forward to CC and Duke, but they turned out awful. Cobra Commander's accessories look like something from a bootleg. Duke's colors are terrible, and the grin is just bad. How did the other reissues/remakes come out so close and then Duke winds up looking like that?

    HISS/Megatron was iconic and made a lot of sense. Bumblebee does not make sense, and as a Transformer toy, looks horrible. His proportions are bad, the yellow/green combo looks bad, the gaps on his arms are bad... If he only looks okay as an AWE Striker, then why not buy a normal AWE Striker and pretend it's Bumblebee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yr right! most of those accessories like things thrown in to try and ease the $50 price point on a bootleg

      Delete
  3. Pass on the ALL the Transformers crossovers. Will buy the single figure from Ebay even if it is more.

    CC's stripe is too wide, the colors are wrong on both figures. Duke's grin = no purchase too. The original CC or the Mickey Mouse Haslab version is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate myself for preordering CC and Duke. Over $50 on two 3 3/4" figures, mainly to get a Cobra Commander they should've remade over a decade ago. Worse the Cobra set hasn't arrived, so who knows if I even like these new o-rings?
    Pass on the Transformer crossover again. In a reasonable world it would be like $40 tops. But the world stopped making sense a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why’d you describe Duke’s colors as being something out of 1997? It’s supposed to be his Sunbow cartoon color scheme (as is CC’s).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I passed on the Baroness/Megatron set because I collect more Joes than Cobras and I'm in the minority of fans who doesn't care very much for the Baroness. But I do love Stalker. So I'm hoping that he'll come carded (even though on a crappy multilingual cardback) and I'll just sell or trade Bumblebee to some Transformers collector who will likely be salivating for him.

    The Duke is not even worth the bother. Only his gear shows promise. But the prices on those two-packs is a crime worthy of CoCo himself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but paying the price point on these figures is making us look like fools

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's every collector line now. I mean, 7 POA Marvel retros are $12 now and look like Fast Food toys from 20 years ago. Star Wars retro skips the movies and what people wanted in retro form for new media probably because Disney has too much say, but still...let's buy figures that look dumb with unpainted lightsabers packaged on fake worn cardbacks.

      Delete
  8. The Army builders pack was over priced. I want O rings but might as we buy vintage at 25 bucks a figure.

    And yawn yawn another Cobra Commander and Duke. Bored.

    ReplyDelete