Friday, November 3, 2023

2023 Cobra Mothership - Weekly Tracking Week 3

So, it doesn't look like the complete lack of support for this project last week was an anomaly.  I was really hoping it was.  But, when the counter started moving again, there wasn't a jump.  So, the pace hasn't just slowed down, it's pretty much stopped.

Conversely, Hasbro launched a Ghostbusters Haslab on 10/27.  It was over 80% backed in about 24 hours.  Within a couple of days, the full 10,000 backing number was reached.  The lesson here?  Fanbases will come out in force for products they feel are well worth the money.  This indicates that Joe fans, overwhelmingly, felt the Classified Dragonfly and Hiss were well worth the money and worth backing right away.  The Mothership doesn't fit that sweet spot.  Too many people can look at it and don't feel the overwhelming desire to instantly support it.  

Personally, I feel the sweet spot for crowdfunding projects is right around $300.  Much less, and the product will seem too much like it could have been a retail release.  Much more, though, and you cross a price threshold where the item has to be epic in order to justify the price point.  I'll argue the Mothership is epic.  It's just not iconic.  There's never been a groundswell of fan voices calling for it.  So, that's why it's not funding with the velocity you see in some other projects.

Here's the numbers:

10/28/23 - 1414 + 3
10/29/23 - 1414 + 0
10/30/23 - 1424 + 10
10/31/23 - 1425 + 1
11/01/23 - 1426 + 1
11/02/23 - 1427 + 1
11/03/23 - 1427 + 0

They are dismal.  This thing has slowed down and is not moving.  I do think this will still fund.  I'm less sure than I was last week.  But, I think nothing short of a new Joe Haslab that runs a funding window at the same time as the Mothership will be required to tank this.  The overall number of backers required to reach the funding goal is low.  But, as more and more weeks pass by without any significant backing, the chances of this failing does increase.

Super7 Cobra Mothership, 2023


8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be surprised if it it does end up happening. Sometimes people seem to wait until almost the end, and a surge of funders happens just before the deadline. I think some people just wait to the final days to see if it's a possibility. Why tie up your money in October when you can do pay the 600 in December? I'm sure some collectors need the extra time to budget for it or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in this boat. ^^ The price is too high. I need time think about the price and time to marshall the funding to cover it. I appreciate having until December to decide.

      Delete
    2. It is awesome, hope it happens. If it does, everyone who bought one will have a thousand dollar toy (or more) a year from now.

      Delete
  2. "Stickers" for interior details killed this project for me. $500 and they couldn't provide essential paint apps? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were trying to give some of the classic Hasbro sticker experience, not a money saving device.

      Delete
  3. I think at 2-250; even 300; which I still think is too high; this would be funded by now.

    Super 7 products are IMHO overpriced. Im a fan of them but since Ultimates went north of 40/45 USD I have had to wait for sales on things like Thundercats. A company that intends to sell a Snarf for 55 USD does not surprise me when this ship is 500.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way Super 7 set up this Kickstarter practically begs people to not back it until the last day. If you pledge, your money is taken immediately, only to be refunded if the project doesn't fund. Who would want to do that? Especially given that the Early Bird goal was lame, there's no incentive to pledge until the very end. I'm sure we'll see a huge surge of backers just before the deadline. In the meantime, most interested fans will sit on the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize they charged you right away. That is...dumb. I suppose it cuts down on declined charges. But, I wouldn't think that would be as much of a deterrent as taking the money up front: funding be damned, would be.

      Delete