Saturday, July 1, 2023

2023 Soundwave with Zartan and Zarana

It has been one year since Hasbro announced the 2022 Stinger.  It was a surprise vehicle with limited quantities offered on Pulse.  It shipped fairly quickly after the announcement.  To this day, though, we do not know where the rest of the Stinger production run ended up.  A lot were shipped to Europe.  But, I do think there's still stock out there since Hasbro has been open about how badly their warehouses are stuffed full of unsold merchandise.

But, finally, after a full 12 months of speculation on the death of o-rings, Hasbro finally offered up a new product.  It was the long rumoured Soundwave who transforms into the Thunder Machine.  It's pretty likely that Hasbro designed the Soundwave back when they thought the o-ring line might have a modicum of success.  But, after the retail disaster that was both Megatron and Bumblebee, it's unlikely any retailers were willing to subsidize another shelf clogging disaster that also came with a stupidly high price.

But, it now seems that retailers are now once again willing to work with Hasbro to get this long suffering product to retail.  And, you can now order this Soundwave along with an o-ring Zarana and Zartan for a whopping $100.  After tax and shipping, you're going to spending a lot of money on two carded o-ring figures.  But, I think it's a lot better to get two of them than just one like we did with the 2022 toys.  I just want high quality figures that command that premium price

As to the toy itself, the Thunder Machine doesn't make much sense.  Historically, Dreadnok themed toys don't do very well among collectors.  Aside from that, though, the Thunder Machine isn't really even a top 10 iconic Joe vehicle.  They're pretty easy to find and not terribly expensive.  So, seeing a remake is weird and out of left field.  But, we haven't seen one in nearly 4 decades.  So, from that perspective, it's OK.  I'm just disappointed that they didn't make it in different colors.  A Thunder Machine in Sears Stinger colors would have been awesome.  But, I don't need another one in the same colors as the original.

It's the figures, though, that are so disappointing.  One, we've seen both Zartan and Zarana multiple times since the vintage days.  I'd really rather have molds that weren't repainted in the 2000's.  (And, in the case of both these figures, hit MASSIVE clearance during that time.)  But, they are characters that people tend to like.  And, they are both good names that might help move the toys.  But, the renders from the release are not great.  

To begin with, the figures have painted heads.  Those are terrible.  They suck and ruin any figure.  We need flesh plastic heads, not pink painted versions that will wear and chip with the slightest use.  After that, though, there are other positives and negatives.  

Zarana finally features the arm tattoo that was removed from the figure in 1986.  I can't tell if they added the flesh colored paint under her ripped pants as the 1986 figure also intended.  It's a nice vintage homage.  But, the rest of Zarana is pretty much the same as the original.  Her black gloves, though, go all the way up to her elbow joints.  With the juxtaposition of black gloves versus flesh upper arms, it's painfully obvious that this is cost savings move on a $100 toy.  I'd accept black elbows on $4 Funskool figures: not on $20+ figures geared for collectors.  Zarana's head also isn't great.  It's like they tried too hard on it.  We'll see if the final product is better.  But, we have yet to see renders undergo massive improvements prior to release.

Zartan features a face with paint that based on his cartoon appearance.  But, sadly, it looks too much like Kiss makeup.  The upside is that the figure will include with backpack and face mask along with an update on his original pistol.  So, that's an improvement.  But, the colors on his chest plate are a combo of his 1984 (that really worked) and his 2005 (that didn't work) colors.  Again, for a $5 figure, this is fine.  For a massively expensive collectible, this really isn't.  The figure should be a perfect rendition of Zartan.  Not something that's indistinguishable from a $3 comic pack figure.

So, as you can tell, I'm not a fan of this item.  I can't abide by Transformers being seen as integral to Joe.  I don't want a $60 Transformer that is unsellable on the secondary market.  So, in end, I'm paying $50+ for two figures that are deeply flawed.  After the disappointing quality on the Skystriker figures, I'm really fed up with paying premium prices for quality that was poor when the figures cost a fraction of their current price.  

Sadly, it seems there are at least two more of these in some stage of development.  A MOBAT/Optimus Prime with Hawk and a TTT with Sgt. Slaughter are the names.  We'll see if they come to be.  I don't see this item being a huge seller, especially with it being available at every obscure online store in the world.  But, the historic failure of the first two Transformers didn't preclude another being made.  I'm at a point where I'd rather have no o-ring Joes than poor quality figures that are included with a toy line in which I have interest and have to pay a premium to acquire.

2023 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, Soundwave, Zartan, Zarana

2023 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, Soundwave, Zartan, Zarana

2023 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, Soundwave, Zartan, Zarana

2023 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, Soundwave, Zartan, Zarana


11 comments:

  1. I'm pretty much the opposite on my take. I think they are solid figures (agree with the paint app gripes though), slightly different from the vintage, which gives it the new/retro feel both at the same time. The Thunder Machine has been available easily for ages, yes, but considering this one changes into Soundwave, I'm going to have to push back on it being the same ol' same ol'.

    I am also a huge Transformers fan (Joe & TF were my fave lines going back to 1982/83), so I don't look at this as 2 figures costing $100, I look at this as 2 figures, PLUS a large-ish Transformer PLUS an awesome Ravage repaint. So instead of looking at this in terms of "how will I be able to resell the biggest part of the set to recoup my cash", I look at it as a super cool set.

    You will get no argument from me that $100 is a high price point (I have not purchased the HISS or AWE Striker set as a result), but in this case, having 2 very iconic o-rings, plus maybe a top 1 Transformer in the same set, price seems to be my only real issue (other than the minor paint gripes).

    I'm not even going to assume until we see in hand pics that the heads will be painted as opposed to molded in flesh tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the commenter. Pretty much the only thing I can agree with on this write up is the face paint. I think the figures look great and the toy looks amazing. The inclusion of master piece Ravage as well makes this seem like a real bargain price to me.

    I will also partially agree with one thing. While I I understand why they are sticking to more iconic figures and vehicles I think that is ultimately what is killing this line. O ring collectors want new product to integrate with their old collections. A zanya, Dr. Venom etc would be a huge hit imo.

    Nonetheless I always love your write ups and you make some fair points I'm sure a lot will feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They also said they had plans for retro in 2023 but blah-blah corporate PR speak...things changed. The 3 3/3" retros are resting...(like how the 4" retro Marvel Legends...resting on pegs at Ollies!)

    As usual, the character choices are safe. Casual fans know all three characters here. Poor Thrasher is less remembered than his ride. Personally, I think Soundwave has more class than to turn into a junk yard hot rod, but I guess they know better than me. But are casual fans buying these? $100 is hardly an impulse buy.

    I'd have talked myself into the pair of figures for the overprice they asked last year for the two packs, but not $100. The vehicle looks nice, the front cage is more sturdy looking and the painted details are sharp, but I don't collect Transformers. Maybe I'd like them if I had them in hand, but still not at the prices they want.

    Since they were going for the artwork, why not redo earring Zarana head in a reasonable scale?

    MOBAT needs remade...but not as a Transformer, as a actual crewed tank with no electronics. Anyway, we know Steeler wouldn't be included with Optimobatus Prime, maybe Roadblock or Gung-Ho or Flint.

    Funny how they avoid the obvious like Starscream as a Sky Striker and Powerglide as a Rattler (previous made as non-transforming repaints), but those would be very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Soundwave. And it might not make much faction sense (good v. bad), but a Junkion would've been perfect for the Thunder Machine. As for Soundwave, maybe transform into the Surveillance Port? Less exciting, but it makes for excellent dioramas. Depends what Transformers fans want to see.

      Delete
  4. Hasbro are probably hoping this will appeal to the Transformers collectors as much if not more than it will appeal to the Joe collectors. Soundwave has always been a popular character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "To this day, though, we do not know where the rest of the Stinger production run ended up."
    What makes you think they didn't sell the amount they made, and took that amount of orders?

    "But, after the retail disaster that was both Megatron and Bumblebee, it's unlikely any retailers were willing to subsidize another shelf clogging disaster that also came with a stupidly high price."
    How do you know it was a retail disaster? And by "shelf clogging" you mean warehouse shelves, right? It definitely wasn't sold in stores.

    I like the look of the figures.

    PS the Thunder Machine was the 15th highest selling GI Joe vehicle, and Zartan / Chameleon was NUMBER ONE. The production run numbers have been posted online in various places. I can send it to you if you don't have it.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you like 'em then buy 'em. but for myself and the folks I talk to these are way overpriced and ridiculous. $100 dollars for yet another zartan,zarana and transformer that i dont even know the name of that I'd give away to some some kid. what a deal.

      Delete
    2. I think he is talking about not only hasbro but all the online toy sellers including Amazon, that bought a lot of these sets thinking they would sell out quickly only to be holding on to a ton of them more than a year later. and that's after having multiple sales. hell you can still buy two of the 3 o ring sets on pulse and I saw the baroness hiss tank on amazon a few months ago for like 40 something bucks and that didn't sell off their stock. I love joes but I'm not spending serious cash on a transformer, a line I have never cared about.

      Delete
  6. I agree that I hate the safe Joe figure choices, and not bringing anything compelling with the O ring paint jobs.

    And I usually hate Transformers and Joes packs.... Except when it is Soundwave!

    He is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never liked Transformers, especially mixed with Joe. We needed another Zartan and Zarana like a hole in the head. Shouldn't Soundwave be some kind of MP3 player like a Zune or an Ipod Touch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I never collected Transformers, I had various as a child. And G1 Soundwave was my favourite one.
    Yet, seeing Soundwave paired with the Dreadnoks is very, very odd.

    I dislike the bright colour scheme, but if someone decided to repaint it, this could be a solid "Mad Max" Soundwave.
    Moreover, if I understood correctly, this Ravage transforms into a cassette like its original version and it can be stored into Soundwave's chest. That is awesome!
    And if this Ravage is in the same scale as any of its counterparts, then Soundwave would be able to store many more cassette-robots from the Transformers mainline.

    Zartan is an improvement, Zanara has thirty years looking horrible, Soundwave is too bright... but I will try to get this Ravage for nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete