Tuesday, July 4, 2023

2023 Super7 Tiger Force Shipwreck

Yeah, it's that time again.  We're going to look at a Super7 figure.  Once again, the figure in question is a Target exclusive.  Instead of a flavor of Stormshadow, though, this time around the figure is the Tiger Force Shipwreck.  Super7 is releasing a wave of Python Patrol and Tiger Force figures.  Among them are some first time members of each team.  And, the designs of each figure are very strong and interesting.  Shipwreck's appearance can be attributed to both the endearing legacy of the Shipwreck character from the cartoon and the figure's appearance in the Brazilian version of Tiger Force.  That figure was a new character named Marujo.  But, it gives vintage legacy of Shipwreck's appearance in this now collector favored subset.

You'll notice no loose pics of this figure in the write up.  Once I had the figure in hand, I had a bit of buyer's remorse.  I also had a bit of a collectorism bite me, too.  See, the card I found was in really nice condition and was unpunched.  It's the type of thing I normally don't care about.  But, since this loose figure isn't something that's all that important to me (he'd get photographed once and disappear into a box), opening him isn't a priority.  I do like to have a clean carded figure added to my collection from time to time.  And, this seemed like the prime chance to do it.  But, the remorse was that I paid full price for this figure and that money could be spent elsewhere.  And, while I really like the yellow rope and grappling hook and would likely use it with my vintage Joes, the Shipwreck's lack of the cool double barrelled pistol that appears on the card artwork limits my interest in an open toy.  I'm not sure why the pistol was omitted.  But, it was probably a cost savings measure on a figure that has a lower production run since it's exclusive.  But, leaving the figure carded means I can return it next week if I decide that $20 was just too much for this type of collectible.

Tiger Force Shipwreck makes more sense than something like Tiger Force Frostbite or Blizzard.  At sea, the crazy yellow is less of an issue.  And, Shipwreck's iconic appearance isn't something that really lends itself to repaints.  So, getting one in a subset makes as much sense as any other release.  (And, he's a great fit for the Tiger Force Hovercraft.) On display, the Super7 figures look great.  And, a full lineup of Tiger Force will always look good.  And, this figure for $20 is far better than $200 for a real Marujo.

As a figure, this Shipwreck checks the Super7 boxes.  The paint applications are tight.  The quality looks good.  And, the card artwork is fairly poor.  I'd have preferred a Marujo card art homage.  But, that would have probably cost too much and put the figure over budget.  I'm a sucker for grappling hook and rope accessories.  But, the lack of a weapon is a big mark against this figure.  The real Marujo features long sleeves, though.  It's a slight difference.  But, again, this figure had to be a straight Shipwreck repaint to keep the costs in line.  New arms would have been too much.  And, not too many newer collectors have enough familiarity with Marujo to really argue about the appearance difference.

In recent years, it's become a bit of a subversive theme in the community that the Classified collectors (and, therefore, the bulk of the retail buying adults) are not really Joe collectors, per se.  But, instead, scale collectors who flock to Classified due to a slight connection to a childhood memory.  But, moreso, due to the fact that the Classified figures are among the best 6" figures on the market today.  This has finally become confirmed in recent months.  Many posters in large online forums are flummoxed by figures like the Funskool Snake Eyes and this Tiger Force Shipwreck homage.  But, the real event that confirmed it was the announcement of Glenda as part of the Dragonfly Haslab.  Despite the fact that Glenda is one of the most famous international exclusives and has been a key collector piece since the 1990's, you saw far too many posts from people who didn't know who she was.  It's one thing to not know all aspects of foreign Joe ephemera.  But, figures like Glenda and Marujo have been very common and available for two and a half decades.  Casual collectors have at least cursory knowledge of them.  And, to see the vitriol aimed as Glenda shows that the new breed of Classified collector is even more different from the traditional Joe collector than many of us thought.  

All of the Target exclusive Super7 figures have gone to clearance around the country.  Most of them finally sell out around $5.50 or so.  So, it's entirely possible that this figure will be clearance fodder in a few months when the next Target exclusive figure is ready to ship.  Target clearance items don't appear at every store.  And, it's rare that they stick around for more than a week or two since Target tends to cut deeply just to get rid of the stock.  But,I leave it to you to use your own judgement as to when or if you acquire this figure.  

The one takeaway I have though, is that Super7 collectors get Tiger Force Shipwreck and an awesomely unique Python Patrol Cobra Commander while Hasbro gives o-ring collectors a craptastic Zarana with black elbows and a Zartan who got kicked out of Kiss.  It's such night and day in how each company views the older collector base.  I just wish Hasbro would get over itself and give the o-ring license to Super7.  Sure, the figs would be $20.  But, I'd feel that their $20 designs would be well worth the money while Hasbro's feel like $3 figs from the asshole early 2000's Hasbro Joe team that are repackaged at a 600% markup.

Tiger Force Shipwreck, Super7, Marujo, 2023, ReAction, Target Exclusive

Tiger Force Shipwreck, Super7, Marujo, 2023, ReAction, Target Exclusive


10 comments:

  1. Yikes! You never see profanity on this blog! But, I share your frustrations. Classified won't last forever, and then those 6' inch scale guys will move on to something else and dump them back into the collectibles market. Really telling that they don't know who Glenda is. The whole point of having figures at 1:18 scale is having vehicles that are within a reasonable size. I'm very disappointed how Hasbro has handled the o-ring line. Joe is stagnant and boring at this point. It's fueled purely by nostalgia. When's the last time o-ring collectors got a brand new character? Probably in 1994 the last year of the ARAH line. (Big Brawler really doesn't count).Super 7 leaves me cold. I bought the Kwinn for the machine gun and ammo belt and a couple of others. I might pick up the Red Laser later on. The reaction figures really don't look good with vintage o-ring figures, not even as diorama background. What Hasbro should be doing is remaking hard to find figures like the aforementioned Red Laser, Glenda, Marujo and other obscure characters. Hasbro obviously doesn't have faith in vintage o-ring reissues if they have to package it with Transformers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My predictions about a 6" Joe line were wrong...sort of. I said the line would last a year or two, fading after they made all the "main" characters recognizable to casual fans and 6" collectors. But I underestimated that 6" scale people really, really eat that scale up...more than 3 3/4" eat that scale up...it seems. However, Classified rarely makes it to brick and mortar in any real amounts and when it does, well...the troop builders go away fast...as expected with most brands (collectors and scalpers). But seeing pegs of Walmart Lady Jayes with some Gung-Hos and Baronesses, as well as the ladies from the Snake-Eyes movie,...that tells me that if Classified actually shipped to stores the amounts toys did 14 years ago or whenever, we'd be seeing a lot of malingering 6" GI JOE on pegs.

    Hasbro also cleverly made potential bombs exclusives. Serpentor and his chariot would rot on shelves next to Mindbender if they weren't online Hasbro Pulse exclusives. Likewise that Baroness and the bike no one wanted, had it not been a Target exclusive and the only way to get Baroness at the time.

    I watched a video where the Classified "reviewer" guy says he doesn't want anything that isn't retro. "Did anyone buy that GI JOE vs Cobra stuff?" Well, he doesn't know, because he probably wasn't into GI JOE then. He's only into now because it's 6 inch scale.

    I doubt Super 7 could make o-ring at $20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thing that bugs me is that there were characters that I would have loved to have gotten in 1/18th 25th/modern construction, but they were relegated to hard to find convention exclusives or the expensive club FSS. For some reason, a 1/18th modern Zarana or Big Ben wasn't considered viable except as exclusives, but the same characters are viable for the 6" line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With better articulation these Super7 figures would be my favorite GI Joes ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I really like the looks of the card and the figure. I just want o-ring articulation.

      I bought the 7 inch Snake Eyes. It looks good but it's just too big and not really fun to pose.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree. This is Star Wars articulation. Even though I was a huge fan of Star Wars when I was a child, the articulation was rubbish. I have zero interest in five POA.

      Delete
  5. Classified collectors seem like a very low-investment group of individuals, but so far they seem to overlap pretty well with my memories of the early 25th community. Lots of hipster-types that have only a narrow focus on completing a cast of characters, and probably consider anything made after 1986 to be too stupid and beneath them. I think false scarcity is the main thing keeping the line going, that and Hasbro making some oddly good choices for the line (we'll see how long they can keep that up).

    I wish I could care about Super7 figures, but sadly I just can't. These feel more alien to me than the 6" stuff, like some toxic combination of Funko Pops and excess nostalgia, leaving you with a collectible that's just meant to be left on the card, never touched. I'd be curious what o-ring figures from them would be like, yet somehow I remain pessimistic that it would really be what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the early 25th people. The ones who liked the early "diaper" crotches because they weren't interested in putting figures in vehicles. The ones who like the 1:18th scale creep, who cares if 25th are taller? It's a PROPER SCALE.
      I remember a guy who went by "Cobra Collector" or something. And in one forum post, he had no idea who Overlord was. Okay, you are a collector of Cobras, but don't know all the characters from the vintage line?

      Delete
  6. I collect classis ARAH and Classified, but still consider myself a Joe collector. But I do see the point about Classified fans not really knowing anything about Joe. I was astonished by all the hate Glenda received on Instagram. Glenda is the perfect stretch goal. I couldn't really understand why all these "Joe fans" wanted Airborne to be locked behind a HasLab paywall. And now the same people are claiming to have evidence that '86 Hawk is the next hidden tier. Crazy!

    I can't bring myself to buy the S7 ReAction Joes - to me they look like overpriced Adventure People (anybody remember those - I'm 40 so I got in those late in childhood).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This figure was available at Toys R Us in Canada as well.

    ReplyDelete