Tuesday, April 23, 2019

2018 Python Patrol Storm Shadow - Factory Custom

2017 was an amazing year for factory custom figures.  Dozens upon dozens of new figures were released and collectors had choices of incredible army builders, rare character repaints or all new amalgamations to choose from.  In short, it was a great year to be be a vintage style Joe collector.  As 2018 started, it was poised to continue the trends of 2017.  Many new designs were shown and collectors salivated over the prospect of new figures.  More new designs showed up and it appeared that 2018 could see even more new figures than appeared in 2017.  And, then: nothing.  Factory problems in Asia, trade wars, construction problems, paint issues and every other little snag under the sun transpired and none of the figures were ready until late in the year until the first crop of Black Major figures finally appeared.  Even then, the offerings were few and the quantities were limited.  But, sometimes, the wait is worth it.  

Stormshadow first appeared in the factory custom world in 2016.  The initial offerings were classics like black, tan, red and Cobra blue versions.  Camouflage versions appeared and there was, generally, a pretty nice assortment of repaints of one of the Joe world's iconic figure designs.  I never really thought I needed a Python Patrol Stormshadow.  I would never have asked for one.  But, one of the joys of having others produce the factory customs is that I get to see some things that I didn't know I wanted.  As soon as I saw the first mock up of the Python Patrol Stormshadow, I had to have the figure.  Usually, I'm not a huge Python Patrol fan.  But, I do enjoy Python Officer figures.  But, seeing Stormshadow in this color scheme appealed to me.  For some reason, it seemed reasonable that Stormshadow could appear like this.  This is, prima facie, ridiculous.  Yet, with the figure in hand, my interest in him remains high.  To me, Python Patrol is mostly the domain of 1984 and earlier molds.  So, seeing Stormshadow colored like this works for how I've always viewed Python Patrol.

The biggest "problem" with this figure is that the base green color used for the figure is substantially brighter than the green that was used on vintage, Hasbro Python Patrol figures.  So, Stormshadow is not a perfect match for any of the vintage figures.  This has been an issue with all the Python Patrol colored figures that have come out in 2017 and 2018.  But, all of the factory custom Python Patrol figures are compatible with each other.  So, you have that as an option.  Beyond that, though, this Stormshadow is amazingly detailed.  The paint masks are intricate and sharp and the yellow underwear is a call back to the vintage figures.  He has the full complement of V1 Stormshadow gear and is just bright enough to call attention to himself without being too overbearing or ostentatious.

So, what am I going to do with this figure?  I have no idea.  This paint scheme falls into the category of really cool figure for whom I have no specific purpose.  There are lots of Stormshadow figures.  But, I don't really use them that often.  Having a Python Patrol version gives me more options when breaking out a Stormshadow for a photo shoot.  I can match him with some of my other figures and he can join Relampago and Gatilho in the pantheon of named Cobra Python Patrol characters.  I could use him as a Ninja Viper to augment the Python Patrol ranks.  The point is, I have no specific use for him and he's a general enough design to work in various settings.  For a classic sculpt in homage colors, that works for me.  

When it comes to factory custom pricing, who knows?!?  These Python Patrol Stormshadows started out at $18 per figure.  Even with relatively limited quantities, the figures were available for long enough that anyone who wanted one could get one.  It's possible that someone who had an unknown stock could liquidate some time in 2019 for 1/2 the original asking price.  But, more likely, the figures will dry up.  When that happens, the demand factor takes over.  If collectors love the idea of a Python Patrol Stormshadow, the figure will get pricey.  If the community is relatively indifferent to the design, the figure will stay around current prices.  And, if the notion of a hugely popular character repainted in a hugely popular color scheme is hated, you'll find this figure for pennies on the dollar.  I find the last scenario the least plausible.  And, I always recommend picking up items at "retail" cost unless you know the item is a turkey.  Black Major figures tend to have a following and many old, out of production designs command significant premiums on the after-market.  For me, I found this version of Stormshadow to be worth $18 new.  Not everyone will since it's an odd figure for sure.

2018 Python Patrol Stormshadow, Black Major, Factory Custom, Red Laser Army, Bootleg, Asa Negra


2018 Python Patrol Stormshadow, Black Major, Factory Custom, Red Laser Army, Bootleg, Asa Negra


2018 Black Major Python Patrol Storm Shadow, 1983 Ace

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea. But the sickly green is not appealing and why they feel the need to have to go with Hasbro's yellow underwear look that was on just one Python Patrol figure, to its detriment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally hate the color scheme on this one, waaayyy too bright. I like the color scheme on the new Red Laser Python Patrol Vipers though. They should have tried to go that route. Either way though, keep the customs coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never understand figures who have different color waists then their legs.Like they're walking around in a diaper or Depends or Superman's red underwear.This goes all the way back to 83 Ace, so this has been a thing with Joes for years.It just ruins the figures look in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete