Tuesday, September 28, 2021

1994 Metal Head - Random Photos of the Day

Metal Head is a very underrated Cobra.  His 1990 figure is a great look.  But, his 1994 update is even less heralded by collectors.  I have always more associated this figure with the Metal Head character simply because I found it at retail a few years before I was able to acquire a 1990 figure in an old collection.  I do feel, though, that this figure perfectly captures the character of Metal Head (as such as he exists).  The terrifying grin is a first for a Joe figure and brings an element of madness to the figure.  For a villain who likes to blow things up, that's terrifying.

Through the years, this figure has held different roles.  The gun from Raven_Viper back in 2000 is always attached to the original figure that I acquired at retail.  And, is now more a part of the figure than any accessory included with him.  Sadly, the 2005 repaint didn't really live up to this 1994 version.  And, the fact that the mold was available for a better 2000's repaint is just another lost opportunity.  I'll forever appreciate this figure, though.  And, he constantly appears in photos for that reason.

We did get a repaint of this Metal Head in 2005.  But, it didn't surpass this original coloring of the mold.  I would have liked this guy repainted in an homage to the 1990 figure.  But, the black, silver and purple makes for a visually striking figure.  His gear kind of sucks.  Which is why I've keep the resin weapon with him for two decades.  

There's a country of origin (COO) variant on Metal Head and you can find figures made in China or made in Indonesia.  Otherwise, the figures are identical.  But, it's something for variant hunters to be aware of.  Other than that, not much was done with this figure.  Hasbro having the mold prevented international repaints.  At least there's one alternative out there on the convention figure to give the mold some life.

This guy pops up in my photos quite a bit because I both like the figure and you don't see him all that often.  I have a nostalgic connection as he was one of the few Cobras I was able to find at retail in the mid 1990's.  So, he found a role and has filled it for a long time, even after figures acquired around the same time have fallen out of favor.  That's a tribute to the figure's quality.  Not everyone appreciates this Metal Head.  But, I've found him extremely useful and he remains a mainstay in my photos to this day.

1994 Battle Corps Metal Head, 1992 Flak Viper, 1987 Maggot

1994 Battle Corps Metal Head, 1992 Flak Viper, 1987 Maggot, 1993 Crimson Guard Commander, 1986 STUN

1994 Battle Corps Metal Head, 1984 Zartan

1994 Battle Corps Metal Head, Flint, Stalker, Viper

1994 Battle Corps Metal Head, 1992 Talking Battle Commander Stalker, 1987 Cobra La Royal Guard


6 comments:

  1. What does Metal Head look like next to Voltar? Are the shades of fuschia the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question. When I get my figures back out in a few weeks, I'll take a look.

      Delete
  2. Arguably the best 1994 figure IMO (though, he has some strong competition). Indeed, his head sculpt is fantastic, and to me it's superior to the more dull looking V1 sculpt. The only thing this guy has going against him is his weapons and perhaps the excessive silver on his boots.

    Contemplating a way to give him a rocket-launcher... I wonder how he'd look with Altitude's gun/rocket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like pairing him with Sonic Fighter Zap's rocket launcher (the single barrel one).

      Delete
  3. You have an interesting collection. I'm not much of a GI Joe collector, but enjoying your collection. Seeing some characters that I have not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cons: Wears a pink leotard

    Pros: Manages to pull it off

    ReplyDelete