Tuesday, July 6, 2021

1986 Dreadnok Thunder Machine

In early 1986, a kid in my younger brother's class brought a bag of newly found G.I. Joe figures to the playground.  It contained a cornucopia of brand new 1986 figure releases that he had found at Target.  I convinced my mother to take us to Target a few days later, only to find all the new Joes sold out.  As we shopped in other parts of the store, though, my younger brother found a random Dial Tone sitting on a shelf.  This lead to an unhealthy jealousy of my brother and his Dial Tone figure.  It also lead to an even more unhealthy obsession to find any all newly released G.I. Joe toys that I could.  Within a few days, I found a Devilfish at the local KB.  I paid too much for it just to get the catalog included so that I could be the first to see all the new 1986 releases.  A few weeks later, before I could even find any other figure, I found the Dreadnok Thunder machine at the same KB toy store.  The higher price was difficult to swallow.  But, it was a cool looking vehicle and would give me my first 1986 figure.  So, I plunked down the money and took home my new prize.

By 1986, the Dreadnoks were not a huge part of my collection.  While they had some nice runs in the comics and I did find the character fun, all of my figures had been acquired in late 1984.  By early 1986, all of those figures had considerable wear, were broken, or were missing accessories.  As 1986 wore on, the Dreadnok figures slowly became nameless goons who fulfilled various terrorist or criminal roles rather than being Cobra operatives.  The 1986 entries to Zartan's clan (Zarana, Zandar, Monkeywrench and Thrasher) though, did find roles within Cobra.  But, they were capable villains rather than an independent movement loyal to Zartan.  For a short time, the Thunder Machine was their vehicle of choice.  But, I slowly found that only Zandar was a really useful villain and the other members of the Dreadnoks faded into the background.  The Thunder machine, though, had more potential.  By the fall, my adventures had shifted to G.I. Joe constantly being under attack by superior Cobra forces.  Joe bases were always under threat of a massive assault from legions of the Cobra army.  Cobra rarely wasted tons of Vipers or Crimson Guards on the attack, though.  Joe bases were heavily fortified.  Cobra needed a vehicular assault to pave the way for an infantry invasion.

To start, these convoys were comprised of Hiss Tanks and Stuns.  Hiss Tanks, though, were old hat to me.  I had owned them and used them as Cobra's primary vehicle for three years.  Stuns were newer and more fun.  But, they had limitations.  The large cannons were imprecise: especially when shooting after highly trained Joes who were capable of deft maneuvering.  This opened the door for the Thunder Machine.  Instead of a unique Dreadnok vehicle, I found the Thunder Machine useful as a standard Cobra attack vehicle.  The dual gatling cannons were the perfect anti-infantry weapons and provided Cobra with the missing element to their attack.  Thunder Machines could make Joes duck for cover while Stuns and Hisses advanced.  Of course, they had downsides.  Thunder Machines' weapons only pointed forwards, limiting their attack options.  And, the guns would be out of ammo after a few seconds.  So, Thunder Machines always had to return to base for re-supply.  But, the heavy armor on the vehicle made it less susceptible to small arms fire.  And, the drivers were more protected than and Stun of Hiss operator could ever dream.  These factors made them vitally important to Cobra success.

I had a broken thumb Viper who ended up the main driver of the Thunder Machines.  And, for several months, they roared over the dark green carpeted hallway to my room.  There was a single step down into the actual bedroom and this was where Joe's line of defense was concentrated.  Thunder Machines would rip apart the weaker fortifications.  But, the old Kenner Tie Fighter wings that guarded the entrance were strong enough to withstand the barrage.  And, from here, Low Light would attempt to snipe away the drivers in hopes of lessening the storm of bullets that Thunder Machines could deliver.

At some point in my childhood, my youngest brother got an A-Team tank from Galoob.  The all black tank looked decent as a Cobra weapon, even if it was somewhat undersized.  (Though it did work well for original Cobra Troopers and Stinger Drivers.)  At some point, I removed the cannon from the turret and replaced it with the gatling cannons from the Thunder Machine.  (They actually kind of fit and didn't fall out too easily as long as you didn't move them.)  This created a formidable anti-infantry tank that Cobra used for some time.  I found the A-Team tank with extra Thunder Machine guns in our old toy box in the mid 1990's.  At some point, I'd like to re-acquire one of those A-Team items to remake that old tank since it was a decent memory of my late Cobra army.  

Now, though, the Thunder Machine sits in a box.  I have better Cobra vehicles to use.  And, the look of the vehicle is just too tied to the Dreadnoks.  The Thunder Machines main value is that it's an excellent display piece.  The toy itself is cool enough.  But, you can kind of see the driver and passenger in the cockpit.  And, you can fit most of the Dreadnoks on the footpegs on the sides.  For the footprint it takes up, the Thunder Machine offers excellent display value since it can showcase a good number of figures.  So, you often see Thunder Machines in Dreadnok displays for this reason alone.

The Thunder machine had an interesting life.  After the U.S. release, a similarly colored Thunder Machine was released by Estrela in Brazil.  After that, though, the mold ended up in Venezuela where Rubiplas released a purple and brown Thunder Machine.  This is one of the most famous rare vehicles in the line and a nicely conditioned version can cost up to $1,000 or more.  The mold then got back to Hasbro who released it in the Street Fighter line, with some modifications.  From there, the Thunder Machine was sent to India where Funskool released it for several years in various color variations: some more blatant and a few substantially more rare than others.  Again, the right Funskool Thunder Machine can cost a substantial amount.  The mold went out of production in India and disappeared before American dealers started bringing over Funskool vehicles in the early 2000's.  Had it been available, the Funskool Thunder Machine would have likely been one of the two or three most popular vehicle repaints of that era.  The mold never appeared again.  And, while it might have been fun to see it in colors that matched the Sears Stinger, it's not really a vehicle that requires a lot of repaints.  The original is good enough and works for either the Dreadnoks or Cobra.

Dealers will ask $100 or more for a mint and complete Thunder Machine.  Left to their own devices, though, you can get them in the $40-$50 range.  There's plenty of stock out there from which to choose, though.  If you sacrifice the antenna or steering wheel, the price drops quickly.  Dreadnoks have a solid fan base.  Though, it's probably more vocal than it's size warrants.  But, the green vehicles tend to be a bit more popular among collectors.  The Thunder Machine is one of those vehicles that's simply a staple.  If you have Dreadnoks to display, the Thunder Machine is the best way to do it.  So, the vehicle always has value in that regard.  For me, though, its time has passed and the Thunder Machine provides a good memory, if it never leaves the shoebox that it now calls home.


1986 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, 1995 Mortal Kombat Movie Edition Dhalsim, Sgt. Slauther, Triple T, 2004 Convention Zanzibar



1986 Dreadnok Thunder Machine, 1995 Mortal Kombat Movie Edition Dhalsim, Sgt. Slauther, Triple T





5 comments:

  1. I've wanted a Thundermachine for a while, but I have the Street Fighter version and never really found it all that fun. For what it provides, the Dreadnoks look just as good displayed around a spare Stinger as they do the Thundermachine.

    Until you brought it up though, I had completely forgotten about that A-team tank! I think I saw that one time in the past while looking at those toys on eBay. That looks like it'd go great with a lot of early Cobras like you mentioned. I think I'll get one if I ever find one for a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The A-Team tank originated from GEN. PATCH toy line as MISSILE ATTACK SET
    T.O.W. MISSILE LAUNCHER (TOW) & ARMOUR ATTACK VEHICLE (ARRAK), which is relatively obscure. It was green inc color. Currently $250 on Ebay. (this comment won't age well)

    I passed on the Thunder Machine when I first saw it, as I thought Thrasher looked dumb. I was too picky. My older brother got one, and it was a cool ride. I eventually got my own, like over a year and half later. I recall using both after my brother retired from toys. Really it was a better vehicle than the STUN in the long run.

    I recall seeing the Funskool ones at India online stores, but out of stock or something. Damn shame they didn't make it to import. Maybe Funskool still has it like the VAMP mold. If only India would crank out bootleggy Joe mold products the way South America did with the Commando and Secret Wars toys molds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew about the General Patch tank! I've got those pics saved. A local shop has a 1/2 complete A Team Tank for $100. I remember them for 1/10th of that. A lot of those knock off toys are a lot of fun if they're cheap. But, after you drop $250 on one, you realize that they're not worth that kind of scratch.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this review and I like how you used it as a kid. The colors lend themselves very well to being a front line Cobra vehicle, and it's the kind of grounded-but-still-out-there design that Cobra favors.

    I've never owned one and have only caught fleeting glimpses of them in person. A kid I knew in grade school had the Street Fighter 2 version, though. He only brought it over once or twice, but it just seemed larger than life to the rest of us. We'd never seen a design like that (two people could sit in it like a real car) and it came with two figures! I desperately wanted one of my own, but never saw it in stores. I am going to track one down someday, as I think all of the SF vehicles are actually pretty strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Thunder Machine as a an adult collector. It's a decent enough vehicle, but I found it a bit small for my needs and it had brittle parts .A new version would be cool though.

    ReplyDelete