Monday, February 5, 2024

1993 Firefly - Around The Web

So, remember last week, when I said "maybe"?  Yeah, maybe a new profile turned into more Around the Web content.  I've got a ton of profiles that are like 70% done.  I need a few photos and to finish some writing.  But, weather's been shitty and I've just not been home during daylight hours.  So, I just haven't completed any of them.  Part of it is just malaise.  I can't get motivated to wrap up some of the thoughts.  And, frankly, instead of taking quiet time to finish a profile at the end of the day, I've been watching TV.  That laziness isn't great.  But, mentally, it's where I am right now until the weather improves.  

So, instead, enjoy some content featuring the 1993 Firefly figure.  Yeah, this isn't the classic 1984 version.  But, the mold is strong in its own right.  And, the neon green set against the black highlights make for a visually appealing toy.  I was lucky to find this guy at retail back in the '90's.  It was from him that I first realized that there were many repaints among the 1993 releases and it was worth it to check characters that I already had since any new find might be a repaint that would be new to my collection.

It's a shame this mold didn't get a repaint in the 2000's.  Hasbro likely had the mold and we got the 1984 Firefly mold in like 10 different paint jobs.  So, just seeing one version of the character in his later garb would have been a refreshing change.  

1993 Firefly Profile - 2016

5 comments:

  1. Solid figure from the end of the line. My little brother had the Grey version from 92 and for me being a 10 year old getting my hands on a figure as iconic as the Firefly was awesome. He was one of my favorite Cobra figures. I got the 93 version back 6-7 years ago when I was purchasing carded Battle Corps figures for reasonable prices. It's a great figure in either color variation.

    I often wonder if any fellow collectors that came of age in the 90s view the Battle Corps versions of the figures in the same way I do. My fondness of 90s Joes certainly revolves around my childhood memories and being able to get versions of the same characters from earlier in the line. I also wonder if that was the intent of Hasbro - to give new life to existing characters for us that missed out on the first few years of the line or was Hasbro just at the point that it was more cost effective to recycle a lot of the classic characters rather than continue creating new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story goes Hasbro's Kirk Bozigian, who help revamp the GI JOE brand into A REAL AMERICAN HERO, came back to the brand after being promoted off it for years (corporate mindset, I guess, you are great at relaunching this, so now tackle toddler toys), he went to Larry Hama and asked him who his favorite characters were and who kids were writing in and saying their favorites were.* So it was very intentional to revisit characters. I suppose it saved in new trademarks, too. I think that's why General Flagg Jr. and Red Star were made. They resembled dead characters from the comics, that were on a list of fan write in favorites, maybe?

      *That still doesn't explain Mercer V2.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that bit of info. Makes sense that they would reintroduce those more iconic figures to those of us that were aware of but missed out on the original versions of many of them.

      Delete
  2. We know the damn Collector's Club had Firefly's gun mold. They issued it in some con set. I doubt they had it recast. I'd bet they had this Firefly and it was more cluelessness on the club and Hasbro's part. FANS DON'T LIKE THIS VERSION. Or "we're saving it for XXXX year's convention set"...then they abandoned o-ring for Modern style.
    Well, it's all over and done. Molds are rusted/melted down scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main thing I don't like about this figure is that it's supposed to be Firefly.

    The figure's okay, and even pretty nice, but without urban camo or a classic balaclava, it's a tough accept as Firefly.

    ReplyDelete